There are two movies which inspire me most, ‘Chef‘ and ‘The Hundred Foot Journey‘. And probably the best cooking scene in the latter was when Hassan cooks Omelet for Madam Mallory. I have tried to remake the omelet and in the process discovered some combinations of flavours which truly complement each other. And the most newly discovered is the use of fresh coriander while beating the eggs. I thus name this omelet, ‘Dhaniya Omelet’.
I must say I’m obsessed with chopping. I really enjoy watching how chefs chop their vegetables as if they are firing machine guns. Well I can’t say I’m there, but I believe, I’m on the right path. I just love chopping, and it is fifty percent why I love cooking. So let’s chop some stuff and make a hearty flavourful omelet.
What you’ll need – Ingredients
- Two eggs [hen]
- Finely chopped Onion [small]
- Green Chilly
- Red Chilly flakes
- Garlic [2 cloves]
- Salt [Swad anusar :)]
- Coriander, fresh.
Omelet making is a skill that takes time. Also not everyone likes it fully cooked or partially dripping one. Still I’ll try to give details of setting heat etc., to get an omelet I enjoy.
Step 1 Preparation
Keep everything ready. It’s very important to keep all the material handy, so as not to spoil the eggs. Finely chop onions, coriander, garlic, ginger [I like juliennes] and green chilly.
Step 2 Beat those eggs
Break the eggs into a bowl. Throw in some salt, red chilly flakes and fresh coriander you just copped. Whisk the mixture probably till you get nice consistency and bubbles.
Step 3 The making
- Take a pan, and put it on medium heat.
- Throw in a dab of butter.
- After the butter melts completely, throw in garlic, green chillies and ginger. Stir fry till golden brown. You should start getting the brilliant aroma of garlic in butter with hints of green chilly and ginger.
- Slowly pour in the mixture of egg. coriander, salt and red chilly flakes.
- Sprinkle with chopped onions.
- Keeping the heat on medium, flip the omelet when cooked from the lower side. I usually toss by giving the pan a jerk. You can use cooking spoon too. Make sure the omelet folds on to itself. This will create a juicy inside.
- Cook till you find no runny egg flowing from here and there.
And you are done! Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee and toasts on the side. Enjoy!