It is one sinful delight. Soft, fluffy and light (just weight wise, and not calories 🙂 ). These go well along with tea, coffee or as is. Below I share a simple recipe that can be extended to create many more variants of these rolls. I have made two rounds with this recipe, one pull apart, where all buns stick together, and you have to pull apart one by one. The other ones are individually made in a muffin tray.
Ingredients for roll
- 360 gm maida (all purpose flour)
- 50 gm unsalted butter
- 100 gm water
- 160 gm milk (whole is better)
- 50 gm powdered sugar
- 7 gm instant active yeast
- 7gm salt
Ingredients for filling
- 4 spoons cinnamon powder
- 4 spoon powdered sugar.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cranberries, almonds, pecan. you can use resins or walnuts also.
Step 1. Preparing the dough
- Heat water and milk together till it is lukewarm. (around 40 C)
- Add yeast and 1 spoon sugar and stir. Leave it aside till it starts bubbling. This is an important part. If the solution does not starts bubbling even after 10 minutes, either the yeast has passed its expiry date, or you have heated the water too much, enough to kill those yeasts.
- In a large bowl measure out the flour.
- Stir the melted butter to frothing yeast mixture.
- Start kneading the dough by slowly adding the liquid mixture. Knead for about 5 to 10 minutes. The dough would be sticky at first, however, after a while, it will become smooth and supple.
- Cover with a damp cloth, and keep it in a warm place. Like in your microwave (turned off).
Step 2. Stretch and fold
After every 30 minutes, you would find the dough roughly doubling in size. Take it out, punch it down to degas it. Stretch it and fold it back. This is done by using all your fingers and thumb of a hand and squeezing the dough from the edge, like squeezing someone’s cheeks, and folding it on itself. This stretching is done from all sides, around 5-10 times. and the whole process is done about 3 times. This will create mesh-like structure which will make the bread fluffy. After final stretch and fold, leave the dough to rise once more till it doubles in size.
Step 3 – Dividing and shaping
- On a floured work surface, drop your dough.
- Cut this into two. You can cover this dough with damp cloth and leave it aside for another 10-15 minutes.
- Roll out the cut piece into rectangular shape.
- Sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar to evenly coat the dough.
- Sprinkle finely chopped dry fruit over it. *you can also use chocolate at this point.
- Now gently roll out the dough into a cylinder.
- Slice out 1-inch pieces from it. You should have around 10-12 pieces.
Step 4. Proofing
- This is the last stage before baking. Proof these cutout pieces in a muffin tray or cake mold. Before placing these sprinkle with some sugar.
- Keep aside to proof for about half an hour.
Step 5. Baking
- Preheat the oven to 220 C for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 220 for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to 180 and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Take out and let them cool.
step 6. Eat!