It’s festive time and you need cakes to celebrate. A dark, sticky and chocolaty cake is what makes everyone drool over this time of the year. I made this one for my wife’s birthday and it lasted a little over the Christmas for us. It is a simple and fun recipe to make, especially when there’s a lot of chocolate going around. And while writing this I figured, adding a little Bourbon or rum would be perfect to notch it up!
The recipe required two pre preps, baking and last one icing! We’ll make chocolate ganache to ice the cake, and it needs time to set. So it needs to be prepared first.
Ingredients for ganache
- 300 gm dark chocolate (or mild, as per preference)
- 200 ml fresh cream
Heat the cream in a microwave or pan to bring it to boil. Add chocolate (broken into smaller pieces), and mix well. Leave to cool down. After some time whisk well to aerate. When completly cool, it should be nice thick paste like.
Ingredients for cake batter
- 1 3/4 cup maida
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar ( add double if using dark chocolate throughout)
- 2 eggs
- 1 – 1 1/4cup milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder(without sugar)
- 3/4 tea spoon baking soda
- 1/2 tea spoon baking powder
- 1/2 tea spoon salt
- Take flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda and sift in a bowl.
- In another bowl add melted butter and sugar. Whisk till sugar is incorporated into butter. This will form a nice fluffy mixture.
- Add one egg at a time and keep whisking.
- Now add the dry mixture around 1 cup at a time and litlle milk. Keep whisking so that no lumps are left.
- Mix everything well till you get a nice smooth batter.
- Preheat the oven till 220 C for ten minutes.
- Bake the cake for about 30-35 minutes.
- Let it cool
- Cut the cake in half in layer. BTW you can also make two small cakes and to do the following.
- Spread the ganache evenly on first layer.
- Add another cake layer and top it with ganache again. From all sides.
Enjoy! The cake tastes even better next day, by cooling it in fridge overnight.