I have tried risotto a multiple times, all time with different ingredients. This time I went text book [ keeping my pocket in mind :P].
This is rice cooked in chicken broth slowly and steadily. I prepared the broth myself a day before I made this risotto.
- Rice, small sized, cheaper the better.
- chicken broth, and shreds.
- black pepper
- olive oil
Step 1 The day before or at least an hour before.
Take small pieces of chicken and put them into a pressure cooker. Fill it up with water so that it covers the chicken at least an inch above. Put on heat, and give 7 – 10 whistles on low flame. If you are using a sauce pan to get the broth, just boil till the meat falls of the bones easily.
Step 2 The cooking
Cooking a risotto is all about patience and love, or passion in my matter! It takes time. It is also about starch and creaminess. Now my image may not look that creamy, but that’s probably because I used basmati rice. Go for cheaper and small grains. They are more starchy.
- Start by heating some olive oil and a dab of butter in a sauce pan or wok.
- Throw in finely chopped onion, 2 cloves of garlic and chopped mushrooms.
- Saute them, till mushrooms start leaving there water.
- at this point throw in the rice. Now, it is not suggested to wash rice, but I did them. This reduces their starch content, but who knows what was in there!
- Add about a cup of the chicken broth [ Just the liquid, don’t worry if chicken shreds start coming with it. It is good in a way].
- stir. and keep stirring on low flame.
- Now this is a continuous process. Keep adding broth and keep stirring the mixture till the rice is cooked.
- Also keep adding chicken pieces in between.
- Before the finale, add in the salt, herbs and the seasonings. You can also use ready made Italian seasonings. They work well. Freshly crushed pepper works wonders!
- Once you get a thick consistency you can add some cream to it, or some Parmesan shavings. I have always found Parmesan cheese very costly and thus avoid it :(.
Garnish with some fresh herbs [parsley or rosemary, and Voila!]
Step 3 EAT!!!!