To start with this is a Non vegetarian dish which can be vegetarian if required. It is a two part recipe, or I would say three part recipe, the Sauce, the pasta and the chicken meatballs. All mixed together in the end.
Tezzi goli mein nahi … chalane waale mein hoti hai : Speed is not in the bullet … it is in the shooter – from Movie: Dhoom , Star: John Abraham
Same way, the Art is not in the Pasta, its in the cook who prepares it!
Ok, enough of Bollywood philosophy, I’ll get back to cooking now :D. So I got my hand on fresh oregano this weekend and some minced chicken. Next came this!
Steps to the three part recipe
It is better to start with meat balls first, as they are going to take time to bake and meanwhile you can prepare pasta and the sauce.
The Meat Balls
- Minced Chicken – 250 gms
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 2,finely chopped
- Ginger, finely chopped, 1/2 tablespoon
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves, finely chopped
- Salt, 1 table spoon
- Black pepper, crushed, to season
- Oregano – 2 sticks worth of leaves.
- Mix everything together in a large bowl with your bare hands.
- Now take a baking tray and place a baking sheet on it.
- Make balls of the mixture of the your required size. I made them to be hand full :D.
Place them on the baking tray and bake them in a preheated oven for 25 minutes at 220 C.
- Do remember to turn them over after 15 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- When done, let them rest.
Measure out a cup of pasta and boil it in a large pan with a table spoon of oil in it. This will avoid sticking of pasta with each other. Boil for about 15 minutes. Drain out the water and let it rest.
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Mushrooms – 100 gms finely chopped
- Capsicum – 1 small, finely chopped
- Green chilly – 1, finely chopped
- Garlic – 4 cloves, finely chopped
- Black pepper, crushed – to season
- Salt- to season
- Oregano – 2 sticks worth of leaves
- Tomato puree, 2/3 cup
- Olive oil, 2 table spoon
- Butter, 2 table spoon
- Take a sauce pan and put it on heat.
- Drop in butter and olive oil.
- When heated, throw in onions, chilly and garlic. Stir till golden brown.
- Now throw in Capsicum and Mushrooms. Stir and then leave with lid on for 2 -3 minutes. This will cook the vegetables in their own juice.
- Now add the puree, and stir till it is cooked. You can add some water at this step, depending on how thick you want your sauce.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Taste the sauce. If you find it acidic, you can add a bit of sugar to balance acidity out.
Serve everything together, dig into that gorgeous plate of food!