Tikki is a lip smacking, all time Indian favorite chaat, that is made by mashed boiled potatoes, by frying them in oil or ghee. My version of Chana [grams] Tikki is a simple, yet a healthy vegetarian dish, that basically came out by accident, I must admit. Here’s what happened.
I was watching a lot of TLC and other Food channels, and learned some middle eastern dishes. Watching those, I learned how hummus is made. I wanted to make something else, but with hummus. And I thought let’s have ‘Spicy Hummus Pancakes’ !
- Chana – 1 cup, soaked overnight
- Ground nuts – 1/4 cup
- Green chili – 2 – 3
- Sesame Seeds black – 2 tea spoons.
- Mustard oil – for cooking
- Black pepper, crushed – 4
The tikki paste
- Make a paste of overnight soaked black chana.
- Toast black sesame seeds and add to the chana paste.
- Add ground nuts, salt, pepper and chili to chana paste and churn again. Add some water and oil if required to get a nice consistency.
The making or cooking
- Heat about a one spoon mustard oil [any other cooking oil will do] in a nonstick pan.
- Drop the paste forming tikki shapes and cook from both sides.
Serve with Tea and fresh coriander chutney.